- the ability to understand something; comprehension.
- sympathetic awareness or tolerance.
- sympathetically aware of other people’s feelings; tolerant and forgiving.
- having insight or good judgement.
- a word used by those who show little compassion towards another group but have decided that their biases and stereotypes are correct and absolves them from any further inquiry. “We have an understanding that these foreigners are bad and we should do everything we can to stop them”
- used by those who claim to know the real meaning behind complex legal issues and have picked and chosen the parts that they want to understand. “It is our understanding that the constitution is under attack and will gladly return the 18th amendment to it’s rightful place”.
- the way a group of privileged individuals tell the world that a their opinion may be out of step with modern society. “It is our understanding that marriage betwixt those with differing genitals is more than that between two people who love each other”.
- what dramatic people may shout when they really want to be heard, because they really want to be heard. “Why are you not understanding me?”
Language evolves. The meaning of a word can shift over time as we use it differently — think of “cool,” “heavy,” or even “literally.”
Today, give a word an evolutionary push: give a common word a new meaning, explain it to us, and use it in the title of your post.