Some animals are more equal than others

In which two legs are good ,but four are better.

Pigs from Animal Farm looking greedy

Life ain’t fair, if there is ever a phrase so overused then this could be a contender. It is the acceptance that there is nothing to be done about a circumstance that has created a negative action towards you or someone else. It is a cold reality that life is not set up to treat everyone equally. Life is survival of the fittest, not evolution through natural socialism.

Being treated fairly is what everyone wants, but few achieve. We cry out when we feel that others get more than we do but are happy to take more than we deserve if the opportunity is presented. All it takes is a few bad eggs to destroy the delicate balance and the system goes to hell. I know, because I’d be one of those people.

This brings me to one of my favourite literary quotes.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. – Animal Farm, George Orwell.

This is why communism or any form of communal living is inevitably doomed for failure. All it takes is for one or two individuals to decide that they would like a bit more equality and all of a sudden you end up with a person who has 99% while the remnants share “equally” the remaining 1%. From such attempts at a fair society has risen Caesars, Bonapartes and Stalins.

Fairness is not natural, no lion ever moves aside for a weaker cub to feed on a wildebeest or orcas deciding that they have picked on a particular seal family too much. We are driven by our biological impulse to take for us and those close to us to keep our family safe.

It is what separates us from the rest of the natural world, we fight for fairness and actively try to create it. This is why being fair is worth fighting for. It is why we should practice the golden rule of treating others as we would be treated ourselves, if we fail to do so then our towering monuments and scientific achievements mean nothing.

We would just be animals.

Write whatever you normally write about, and weave in a book quote, film quote, or song lyric that’s been sticking with you this week.

Source: Earworm

Author: geekergosum

Ah, so you worked out the riddle. You just needed to use dwarfish and the doors to Geek Ergo Sum opened. Or perhaps you just used Google. Either way you are here, on my little corner of the Internet.

1 thought on “Some animals are more equal than others”

  1. Technically, we are “just animals” but I get your point, that we’ve risen above what people these days like to call our “lizard brain” and know the meaning of the word fairness. Animal Farm used to be one of my favorite books when I was younger. It’s still up there in the top twenty.

    Like

Think inside the box, feel free to leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s