That’s it then, another year over and what have I done? In one sense it was not as crazy as the previous few years but it has still gone by in a bit of a daze. I managed to get away without any life changing event for the first time since 2009 so it has given me some time to take stock and live life a little.
The best thing for me to do is take a look back at the resolutions I made all that time ago whilst in the middle of a baby-sleep-deprived state and see where I went wrong. After the Red-Posting a lot of what I had written has gone but I managed to find a copy of the post I made where I plotted out my new year resolutions…and looking at the first one I may be on to a loser here!
- Break the link with iTunes (FAIL) – So at one point I did manage this and went completely Apple-free. The annoying thing was that iTunes seemed to work better for syncing my music and playlists so I am back shackled to Cupertino’s music player.
- Read a book (PASS) – I did manage to do this, but did not read many. Plus I am not sure that a Doctor Who short story really counts (I am also certain that reading the Mr Men books and The Dinosaur that Pooped a Planet are exempt).
- Save money (FAIL) – Well we were, until we had to go out and buy a car…and then bought a new bathroom
- Eat more vegetables and exercise (FAIL) – not going to explain this any further.
I then have all the blogging resolution I failed abysmally at:
- Write more (FAIL) – a baby laid waste to that plan, as usual I started the Post a Day challenge and think I managed to get to the end of January this time. Maybe 2015 will be my lucky year.
- Comment more (FAIL) – This is something I am terrible at, I tend to post in my own little space and not leave comments on the great posts that others write. I need to be more active if I expect others to be the same.
- Get some awards (FAIL) – I really want to push on with this site over the next twelve months (who knows one day I may get Freshly Pressed). I also want to look at getting out there and be recognised for the occasional decent post I write.
- Not move this site (PASS…maybe) – For the first time in forever I didn’t swap between .com and .org or move my site between servers. What I did do was to remove every post I had written from this site…only driving Mrs G slightly crazy.
So overall life has been good, I am really finding fatherhood fun and good for me. This site started out as a way for me to relieve stress (oh Angry Fairytales…maybe I shall dig out some post for old times sake) then became a way for me to work out who I was. It led to me meeting the lady sitting next to me (this was written at home) and having the dinosaur in the adjacent bedroom.
With 2014 nearly over I can reflect that there have been some good (and unfortunately sad) moments but it has been more than satisfactory. Heres to the next 365 days, I hope you found 2014 to be more +ve than -ve and wish you all a Happy New Year.